In 9th September 1968 was created the Preparatory School of Leiria, that latter was renamed as José Saraiva’s Preparatory School.
In 1999, September again, the school changed to a new location where it still is now. It has three buildings for classrooms and two others for gymnastics and for meals. The school is located in a place called Cruz d’Areia (Leiria’s borders). In 22nd August 2000 the school changed name again, to José Saraiva’s Basic School of 2nd and 3rd grade. It belongs, now, to a larger group of schools.
Our patron is José Saraiva.
This renamed teacher was born on 1st April 1881, close to Fundão (Castelo Branco, Portugal).
He was a real self-made man!
Between 1915 and 1932 he lived in Leiria where he was High School teacher. Besides this he was Historian, Art critic and was involved on many projects related to education and culture.